Monday, January 4, 2010

My extra comments on the Pickpocket attempt

First of all, I have never had anyone try to pickpocket me before. So this was pretty exciting. There always has to be a first and I really thought it'd be in a place like Roatan or Belize, but we were in a pretty bad part of town. Wouldn't have been there if it weren't for the Parque de la Reserva :( and I am sad I didn't get to see it.

I think Brian would have caught the guy had he not turned around to look for me. This all happened in a split second. By the time I turned around from the sign we were reading, all I caught was the look on the kid's face as he noticed Brian sprinting after him. After another second the kid was at the top of the stairs to a bridge and Brian was already starting up the stairs and leaping 5 or 6 stairs at once when the kid could do about 2. So the look on his face, oh, priceless. That's when Brian remembered that little kidnapping game that's been known to happen in Mexico where someone lures the man away and kidnaps the women. So he turned back and looked and me and noticed no other shady people around and he started bolting after the kid again. I was shocked for a bit, but then I thought it was funny after I remembered we didn't have our passports on us. There were about 5 other people around. One woman and her daughter just kept looking back to me and then looking back and 'the chase.' Another man came over after Brian got back and he seemed to feel pretty badly about the situation. He was really nice, asking if he'd gotten our passports or any money. I think he thought we were out of money and was going to walk us back to the Plaza de Armas. He walked and talked with us for a while and then hailed a cab for us.

All in all, I guess we paid Doce Soles for our round trip ride to get robbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment