Thursday, December 31, 2009

The unexpected

So, a few things that are unique:

Hardly anybody wears shorts...but I really want to wear shorts. I wonder how offensive it is. If anybody knows, please tell me.
You don't flush toilet paper here, you put it in the trash next to the toilet. Gross, I wonder if it's a habit that'll stick for a while when we're back in the US.
Taxi rides are negotiated at first, no set fees to go anywhere, no paying anymore money if it takes longer to get there.
No tipping. That's not totally unexpected since it's pretty specific to the US, but it makes me feel bad to not tip.
Driving is crazy. Driving=death.
The hotel hasn't taken a credit card or any money. We'll just pay when we're done and we can stay as long or short as we'd like. That seems eerily to trusting to me; I hope it doesn't bite us in the butt at the end.
Their main soda, Inka Kola, tastes like a cream soda I had as a kid in Nebraska.
I don't know why, but almost everything is cheap except toiletries and electronics. I paid about 5 dollars for pretty much the cheapest shampoo they have. No $1.oo Suave here. A wii costs $350.

Off to get some lunch.

1 comment:

  1. LOL- Toilet paper goes in the garbage. Many places in Asia are like that. The plumbing can't take the paper. Yes, gross, but won't continue once you get back to the US.

    ReplyDelete